I SPY DIY DESIGN | Boy’s Room Makeover + DIY Live Edge Desk

DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

ispydiy_boysbedroom1
I’m back with another fun room makeover! This time we transition Lori’s nursery into a woodsy themed room for her son (remember his camp playroom? And Lori’s bedroom oasis?). Buffalo check is my current favorite, so I was jazzed when I saw that Lori had already purchase some plaid items for the room. I took that theme and ran with it! My favorite part of the room is the chalkboard wall and live edge desk. You should have seen how excited Liam was when we told him he could draw on the wall!

beforeboysroombeforeafterispydiy_boysbedroom_slider
I have become quite the hoarder of live edge pieces of wood, and this one worked perfectly as a little desk. I sanded down the sharp corners and covered with 2 coats of  a fast-drying polyurethane, then drilled shelf brackets into the studs and the bottom of the wood.

ispydiy_boysbedroom4ispydiy_boysbedroom3  I debated painting the whole wall or just doing 3/4, and am super happy we left a little space and added the mountain range decals, it adds a little more fun to the room, no? Lori found this crazy cute tree book holder that created the perfect reading corner next to the oversized bead bag. ispydiy_boysbedroom6
We upgraded Liam from a crib to bunkbeds (the ladder is in hiding until he is ready to safety climb)! I am in love with the blue, it’s the perfect shade!
ispydiy_boysbedroom7
I found some line drawings of a lantern and other woodsy things, and the plan was to get a projector, but they ended up being simple enough to freehand (the magic of chalk is that you can mess up as much as you want, and wipe it away!) Hope you like the room as much as Liam did!

SHOP THE ROOM: 
Target Kids Industrial Chairs + Buffalo Plaid Sheets  + Travel Wall Decals
Go Play Outside Print
Urban Outfitters Printed Rug
Art.com Bull Elk in Snow 
Land of Nod Buffalo Check Bean Bag Chair
Babyletto Spuce Tree Bookcase  
Donco Kids Blue Bunk bed


EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

SHARE THE

MY DIY | Entryway Succulent Storage 

DIY KITS, Home DIY

ispydiy_succulentholder17
If you are anything like me, you know how hard it is to walk past the succulent section and not buy at least one…or two of those cute plants! Then, after you’ve amassed a collection you need a place to display them, right? I love the idea of using a vintage file cabinet or tool shelf, and had been search for one for a while. Then I found this one tucked away at my favorite thrift store! It was enormous, and a little beat up, but I knew with a little TLC it would make the perfect entryway piece.

ispydiy_succulentholder12ispydiy_succulentholder14ispydiy_succulentholder15
The original color was a minty green, which I loved, but parts were left unpainted, so I decided to freshen it up. I was so jazzed to find Krylon® ColorMaster™ Paint + Primer – 25% More in Satin Jade because the color was similar, but brighter and more modern. The coverage was amazing and because there is so much paint in the can, I only used one can to cover the entire shelf! Also, because of the way the tip of the can functions, it was so easy to turn the can 360 and cover each of all the shelving units.

After spray painting it (I used two coats of paint to achieve this color), and letting it dry, I scuffed up some of the edges and corners with 220 grit sandpaper to give it a bit more of that vintage worn in look. While I let that dry, I started on all the succulent pots. I bought a bunch of inexpensive terracotta pots that I sprayed with three coats of fun colors: ColorMaster Paint + Primer – 25% More in Gloss Sun Yellow, Gloss Bright Idea, and Matte Aqua. After those dried, I potted the succulents and decked out the entryway piece. I LOVE how it turned out! What do you all think? Step and supplies after the break… (more…)


EXPLORE MORE: DIY KITS, Home DIY

SHARE THE

MY DIY | Herringbone Wood Headboard

DIY PROJECT

ispydiy_chevronwoodheadboard4
I have been so excited to make this project for my client’s bedroom ever since spotting this wood wall. The concept of the herringbone pattern is pretty simple, but I thought there might be some challenges turning it into a headboard. I was beyond happy when this project ended up being easier and way less time consuming then I thought, and turned out even better then I hoped! The guys at the hardware store were skeptical when I showed them the inspiration pic and told them I planned on finishing it in a day, but all the cutting/staining/gluing took about 3 hours. Then, I let the glue set over night and spent around 2 hours the next day adding the frame and poly coats. I made the accent color Minwax’s Pearl Gray, but you can switch it up to match the decor in your bedroom. All the supplies cost $150 dollars, which is pretty darn good for a custom headboard!

ispydiy_chevronwoodheadboard21ispydiy_chevronwoodheadboard10 ispydiy_chevronwoodheadboard15
Steps and supplies after the break!  (more…)


EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT

SHARE THE

 

  • WORKSPACE | designer
  • STYLE | Chambray ruf
  • BATHROOM | A 1636 Fo
  • FLOWER | A Southern
  • BATHROOM | TILE
  • FLOWERS | PRETTY
FOLLOW
Ad

SEARCH THE BLOG

DIY happiness straight to your inbox.

FOLLOW ME