ASK THE EXPERT | Side Braid Waves
For my second Throwback Thursday hairstyle with TRESemmé (remember the bouffant look?) I picked my favorite photo of my Mom to recreate with a modern twist. I love her carefree boat blown waves, styled to wear under a giant hat, and wanted to mix it with my signature everyday side-braid. TRESemmé stylist Tyler Laswell showed me how to create this look by starting with beachy waves, then brushing all my hair to one side. For a boat-chic touch, he suggested adding a Dutch braid (which is just an inverted French braid!). It’s the perfect windy weather look, keeping fly-aways at bay. Added bonus: the braid masks hat head, making it an all day look even if you decide to take your hat off – perfect for a day with the girls at brunch. Steps and supplies after the break.
What to do:
1. Create a deep side part on your preferred side.
2. Since I created this hairstyle on somewhat old and not-newly washed hair, I used the Fresh Start Color Care Dry Shampoo to absorb any excess oil that may have been lurking around. Massage into the roots of your hair for an instant refreshed feeling.
3. Instead of the classic French braid, create the “inverted-braid”,also known as the Dutch braid, by braiding with 3 strands. Here’s how to invert the braid – instead of placing each strand over each other, braid by placing each strand UNDEReach other.
4. As you braid, grab pieces of hair from the front of your crown to weave into the Dutch braid.
5. Finish off by securing it with an elastic to have the remaining ponytail blend in with the rest of your hair
6. I love the side parted look so move all your hair to one side, resting over your shoulder and set the braid and waves in place all day with TRES Two Extra Hold Hair Spray!
Check out https://www.youtube.com/TRESemmefor more hair tutorials and exclusive behind-the-scenes access to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week!
This post is sponsored by TRESemme´, a product by Unilever