Time for a sugar high! What better way to tell your BFF they are your “#WCW”, or your BF to “Bae Mine” than saying it on a frosting filled cookie sandwich. My friend Alexis, from Yield Bakehouse, whipped up a batch of sugar cookies for me to stamp with Valentine’s Day messages. And since two cookies always trump one, we had to sandwich some sprinkles and sugar goodness in the middle of a couple. Now go give ’em your boo and let them know you love them with #nofilter. Bonus points if Digital Getdown brings on a wave of nastalgia…JT will always be my #1 Bae! Ingredients after the break.
• 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 1/4 cups sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 3 cups flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
What you need:
• Wilton Food Coloring Gel
• Pie Stamps
• Rolling Pin
• Baking Sheet
• Heart Cookie Cutters
• Piping Bag
• Vanilla Frosting
What to do: 1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and lump free. Add in egg, vanilla, almond, and combine.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. (Note: flour should be spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with a knife for accurate measurement.) Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture, until combined.
3. Divide dough evenly into two bowls. To each, add roughly 1/8 teaspoon of food coloring gel and combine. (We used Rose and Red, but feel free to use whatever colors you’d like!) Once dyed, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Once dough has chilled, remove it from refrigerator about 5-10 minutes before using. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough to 1/4″ thick and cut out your desired shapes, then place on a baking sheet.
5. Once your cookies are cut and ready, it’s time to stamp. Using the pie stamper, gather your letters and slide them in accordingly. (Note: you may want to stamp on excess dough before the cookies to make sure you have the letters in the correct way.) Stamp your favorite sayings onto the cookies, but do not press all the way through. You will also want to keep some cut outs blank, without sayings, these will be the bottoms of your cookie sandwiches.
6. After you’ve stamped all your super cute, lovey dovey sayings, bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. Just be sure to watch your cookies, as all ovens tend to be different. We only kept ours in for 6 minutes to keep the bright color! Let cookies cool after baked for about 15 minutes.
7. Once cooled, fill a piping bag with your favorite vanilla frosting. Flip the blank cookies over so the textured side is facing up. Pipe in your frosting, then place a stamped cookie on top. Add in sprinkles along the sides, and BOOM, cookie sandwich!