MY DIY | Wood Slab Coffee table

DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

ispydiy_coffeetable13

ispydiy_coffeetable9

ispydiy_coffeetable14

ispydiy_coffeetable8

Hey all! I am back from a glorious social-media-free long weekend feeling refreshed. Thanks so much for all the nice words and comments on last week’s post, and I am so sorry to hear that some of you are going through the same thing, it’s the worst. Now back to DIYing! I posted about my coffee table in my apartment tour post, and shared the story behind the wood slab, now it’s on to how to create your own. I was super excited when I found out that my local second hand store started selling unfinish wood. After finding the perfect piece, we got out the power tools to cut it down to size. More step after the break…

ispydiy_coffeetable1

Wooden slab
Hairpin legs
Drill
Rags
Sander and sandpaper
Minwax Wood Finish- Natural
Minwax Polyurethane Finish

I enlisted my Dad to come down to the studio with all his tools, and he was in charge of drilling in all the screws to hold the hairpin legs in place. Thrifting tip: I alway buy old furniture with hairpin legs, and take off the legs and repurpose. It’s usually cheaper then buying just the legs online!

ispydiy_coffeetable3

Next came the sanding…oh, the sanding. This took awhile, even with the power sander, because we wanted to get out all the grooves that were made when cutting the slab. That way the top surface would be completely flat. Be patient and stick with it, because it looks so great when it’s smooth!

ispydiy_coffeetable4

Next, wipe down your surface to remove all the sanding dust.

ispydiy_coffeetable6

I wanted a stain that would enhance the natural color of the wood, so went with Minwax Wood Finish- Natural, and I absolutely  love how the color turned out. It brought out all the character in the slab, giving it more depth and interest. Stir the stain thoroughly before applying it in the direction of the grain with a rag. Let it sit for 5-15 minutes for a rich, darker color. Use a clean cloth to remove the stain that has not been absorbed into the wood, while blending light and dark areas. Let dry for at least 8 hours.

ispydiy_coffeetable7

Once dry, add the Minwax Polyurethane finish in Clear Satin. Stir well and apply a thin coat in the direction of the wood grain. Let it dry for 2 hours and then sand with a fine sandpaper to ensure an even finish. Apply a second and third coat, and let dry for 3 hours. Done!

This post was made in partnership with Minwax® Products. Thank so much for supporting my amazing sponsors who make I SPY DIY possible! For more woodworking/wood staining inspiration head over to the Mixwax Facebook page and “LIKE’ them!

ispydiy_woodslabtable_Steps

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

COMMENTS

1. Michelle says:

Oh this is so cool! I really would love to have every single peace of furniture that you created! Beautiful!

By the way: Win a DIY Bracelet on my blog https://www.makeandmess.com! Head over there now!

2. sandra says:

It looks so good! I can’t find hairpin legs anywhere in Sweden but would love to make a table like this myself!

3. Catherine says:

Really easy and beautiful! Good job!

4. Heather says:

This looks great! We have a very similar DIY table, but with wood planks instead of a whole slab. My boyfriend’s dad helped him make it last year after we moved in together and couldn’t find a for-sale coffee table that we liked enough for our space.

5. I love this table, it’s so beautiful! I’d never have thought it was a DIY project if I’d just seen it somewhere, I would have thought it was a designer piece. Really, really pretty!

darjeelingtealeaves.blogspot.com

6. Wow the table looks simply stunning!
    I wouldn´t have guessed that you diyed it yourself.
    Good job girl!

xx Julia

7. Erika says:

this is a really cool DIY, love the finished product! (also love the pillows!) hope you are having a good weekend!xx

Erika | Just That DIY

8. Helen says:

This coffee table is so pretty and looks like something I could actually build myself. I just moved into a new place and need furniture, so I’ll probably be trying out this DIY tutorial sometime in the near future.

-Helen

9. Paige says:

This coffee table is awesome! I totally want to make my husband make one for me!

Paige

10. Brook says:

Love this idea! Pretty, classic and simple!!:)

11. Astrid says:

What a beautiful table. I also wanted a new coffee table for in my new home and my father is really handy so he build a coffee table for me. I also wanted these hairpin legs but in the Netherlands they are almost not available, so my dad made them himself. And I have to say the coffeetable is the highlight of my interior, everybody loves this table 🙂

12. Julita says:

This idea is genius!!! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

13. I have always loved the raw wood feel. I hope to do this one day when I have the space. It’s a total must save 😉

14. Carrie says:

echt coole Idee

Posts online about Dubai, Provence, South Africa..

Love, love, love this table. Fits in the apartment so nicely. Great job!!!

16. sharon says:

All the work was well worth it. Nice table.

17. Maggie B says:

Would love to know what local shop you got the wood slab from (also living in Milwaukee!) – great project!

18. What a beautiful table! I love how simple you went with it. Finding a slab like that is a treasure for sure!

• BATHROOM | TILE