MY DIY | No-Sew Print Pencil Case

DIY PROJECT, Holiday DIY

ispydiy_pencilcase

ispydiy_pencilcase1

ispydiy_pencilcase3

ispydiy_pencilcase4

Growing up, school supply shopping day definitely ranked in my top 10 favorite days of the year! Getting my Trapper Keeper (did I just date myself?) loaded up with folders that corresponded with each class subject, color coordinating everything in my school tool case and, of course, buying a fresh set of sharpened pencils and the hottest pens for the year. Such glorious day! Recently, I have been getting requests for more back-to-school projects, and since the topic is one of my faves, I happily obliged! First up, a fun way to store all your new writing utensils that can be customized to your theme…because you should absolutely have a theme…oh man, can you imagine if I was back in school…I would consider it just for the supply shopping…haha! Steps the break…

Ispydiy_pencilcase_steps

Scissors
Pen
Ruler
Fabric in any color that measures at least 11 inches by 5 inches
Felt in any color that measures at least 10 inches by 4 inches
Button
String
Scotch™ Essentials Permanent Hem Bonding Strips
Scotch™ Essentials Easy Fix Button
Note: Follow all Scotch® Brand package instructions for proper application and approved surfaces.

What to do:
Step 1: Lay a piece of felt on a flat surface and draw a rectangle that is 8” by 3”. Cut out and set aside.
Step 2:  Draw another rectangle on the felt that is 8” by 3” and add a triangle at the top, this will become the flap of the pencil case. Cut this piece out.
Step 3: Next, lay the fabric facedown on a flat surface and place the felt places on top in a column, with the triangle at the top.  Then, trace an outline on the fabric that is .5” wider than the felt on every side. Cut this fabric piece out.
Step 4: With the felt pieces still on top of the fabric, make a loop with string and attach it to the tip of the felt triangle using a Scotch™ Essentials Permanent Hem Bonding Strip.
Step 5: Next, still with the felt pieces in place, attach Scotch™ Essentials Permanent Hem Bonding Strips to the fabric border, making sure to cover the entire perimeter. We cut the strips in half to ensure that they fit the border perfectly without hanging over the sides. With the Scotch™ Essentials Permanent Hem Bonding Strips in place, fold the fabric border onto the felt.
Step 6: Then, cut additional Scotch™ Essentials Permanent Hem Bonding Strips and attach them to the edges of the bottom half of the pencil case. Do not add strips to the bottom edge.  Fold the bottom half upward, making sure not to overlap the triangular part.
Step 7: Add a button to your pencil case with a Scotch™ Essentials Easy Fix Button. Make sure you set this approximately 1.5 inches from the top of the case.
Step 8: Fill the case with pencils, and close the case by looping the string around the button. Done!

This post has been made in collaboration in Scotch® Brand, thank you for supporting my amazing sponsors who make I SPY DIY possible!

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Holiday DIY

COMMENTS

1. They really look so cute! And easy to make as well!

2. Lola says:

I was just looking for a tutorial like this , now I have got to this out !

Lola xx

Great for kids going back to school. Neon colors would be exciting.

4. Lila&Sirena says:

Genius!
    I love it, have to try this ASAP!

Lila&Sirena

5. Paige says:

This pencil case is super cute! I’m going to have to try it out ASAP!

Paige

6. sharon says:

So clever and cute.

7. Mary Virlee says:

Very cute! I am working on my classroom decor, black and white with purple, teal and lime green accents! I love shopping for new school supplies. If I have time I might try and make some of these, the black and white perfect for my theme! Great work!

8. Stephanie R says:

My daughter has been looking for the perfect pencil case at the store with no luck. Im going to try and make one of these for her!

9. Natalie Ann says:

How cute! It looks so simple and easy to make 🙂

Natalie Ann xo // Petal Poppet Blogs ♥

10. Andy says:

Your design is so good. I can learn a lot

11. These are so cute and easy to make. 🙂

12. Candace says:

This is a darling pencil case, but forgive me if I say there must be an error in the size fabric you require. Unless you have short pencils (and I assume you don’t because you seem to show brand new pencils), the fabric size you state is short by half. If you fold up the bottom to create the pouch for the pencils, using an 11″ piece of fabric would make the pencils far too long for the pouch. I also think your directions need more clarity. I was barely able to follow the written portion and mostly relied on the photos. It would be helpful if you would re-post this with the correct measurements and post step by step with a photo for each step. Thanks very much.
    Cheers!

1. Jenni says:

Thanks so much for pointing that out Candace, we updated the text!

13. Such a cute idea! Great for back to school too!

14. Rebecca Nicholls says: