DIY MAKEOVER | Fabric Spray-Painted Chair

DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

ispydiy_yellowchair7

ispydiy_yellowchair4

ispydiy_yellowchair1

ispydiy_yellowchair

One of my absolute favorite pastimes is binge watching HGTV, I can’t say no to a home makeover! So when I got the opportunity to chat with David Bromstad, amazing artist/interior designer and winner of season one DesignStar, I jumped at the chance. I got to pick his brain a bit about his creative process, and found out we had a ton in common, most importantly, our obsession with coffee, flowers, and pops of color! It was pretty amazing how familiar his story is, growing up in the Midwest, and the inspiration his Mom provided, her love for gardening and fascination with flowers. My favorite part of the conversation was our shared love for sipping coffee with our Mom, making it the most important ritual whenever we are home. My Mom and I frequent the same cafe every time I am in town, and drink bottomless cups of coffee while catching up, it’s the best!

David took those important moments and translated them into art for his latest collection of bottles for Coffee-Mate. His work sparked an idea to take something in my studio and give it a bold makeover, to create an area in my space where I can enjoy a cup (or three) for an inspired start to my morning!  David never shies away from color, and we all know about my obsession with yellow, so wanted to give a white chair I bought years ago at Target, an extreme makeover. A couple of cans of fabric spray-paint (yes, FABRIC SPRAY PAINT) totally transformed the chair! Details after the break…

ispydiy_yellowchair5

ispydiy_yellowchair6

The coverage was amazing, the material is not stiff, and the color has not rubbed off on any light colored clothing…game changer, right?! I used two cans, but am thinking of going over it once more with a third for a totally consistent color. Next I set up my little area, brewed myself a pot of coffee, added a splash of Coffee-Mate French Vanilla flavored Creamer, and enjoyed in my newly improved seat. Thanks so much to David for inspiring me to give my chair and cup of joe a jolt, the makeovers are much appreciated!

ispydiy_yellowchair3

The David Bromstad for Coffee-Mate collection is available exclusively at Target.

This post was in partnership with Coffee-Mate. Thank you for supporting my amazing sponsors who make I SPY DIY possible!

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

COMMENTS

1. Tonya says:

Very cool! I’ve never heard of spray paint for fabric before but I love the idea of it.

2. Anisha says:

That chair is such a bright pop of colour! It looks brilliant! Such a handy DIY

3. Am in love with the new colour! It is so fun and happy. You can’t possibly feel sad while sitting on that chair right? (:

xx Jia

4. Did I hear Fabric Spray paint, this is the best discovery ever to me. That chair sure looks good. You mentioned coffee so many times now that I have to grab one myself 😉
    Thanx for sharing

5. shannette says:

That chair is a beauty. I love it in white but the yellow just have me in aww.

6. Dianne says:

Wow that chair is great.I love the color yellow.And I love your blog,David Bromstad,HGTV and Coffee Mate in French Vanilla.

7. Hedy says:

Love the chair. Sure wish you would have told us where you got the paint for fabric and what brand it is ! I have never heard of it before but now I will start hunting for it.

8. Paige says:

WHAT?! Fabric spray paint?! Oh the possibilities! I love this yellow chair too!

Paige

9. So cute! I love yellow–it really brightens up the room.

Love the yellow chair. It gives the room a pop of color.

11. Rachel Ang says:

Never heard of a fabric spray paint before! This is so cool, and it looks amazing!!! gives me A rush of energy!

Rachel x
    thehappybits.blogspot.com

12. Bambi says:

Fabric paint brand? Where can one purchase the fabric paint. Great chair!

13. Melanie LeDuc says:

Where is that side table from?? It’s EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for for ages!

14. Danielle says:

Wow Wish I got to pick Davids brains lucky you. I have only ever got to watch him on TV when we are lucky enough to get the Design Star series on TV down here in Australia. Now you will have to let us know more about the Fabric spray can and where to get it mind you I am assuming good craft stores will stock it also Fabric stores. I hope we can get it down under. Fantastic job on the chair mind you

15. Carrie says:

wow this is amazing

Posts online about Dubai, Miami, Beijing…

16. Cathleen says:

Do you have a link to the spray paint you used?

17. sharon says:

Love the yellow chair and the morning coffee. Nice combination.

18. Tiffany says:

I just found the perfect chair at Goodwill this afternoon but didn’t purchase it because the color wouldn’t go in any of my rooms. I’m going to go back in the morning to see if it’s still there and spray paint that baby! Crossing my fingers! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

19. Catherine says:

I am also curious about that side table – where is it from??

20. nikki says:

Inspired!!!!!!!!!!

21. Lindsay says:

I’ve heard of fabric spray paint before but I’ve never seen a final product from using it – awesome! You’ve given me the courage to do it 🙂
    Love your blog by the way (I’m a new follower)!

Lindsay / myhouseoflove.com