MY NEW APARTMENT!

ETC

ispydiy_MYAPT copyAs I mentioned yesterday, I am officially moved into my new apartment and I LOVE IT! I always dreamt of living in a converted warehouse space, and when I saw this listing online I was instantly obsessed. The black and white, the open concept kitchen, those GIANT windows…swoon! I feel like I’ve hit the apartment jackpot and wanted to share my tips so you can too. I’ve also included a sneak peak into my design game plan.ISPYDIY_MYAPT1

ISPYDIY_MYAPT2

Finding Your Dream Apartment: As someone who has logged many hours in search of a new apartment, I know how stressful the process can be. From one-bedrooms that turn out to be glorified studios to sleeping nooks that are actually a closet, I’ve seen it all. I began using rent.com when searching for apartments because each listing is verified and legitimized, instantly curing any apartment headaches you may be having.  Searching for a specific space is also really easy.  I knew I really wanted to live in a warehouse style apartment so I narrowed the search to that style, then I set the desired number of bedrooms, maximum price point, and the area I wanted to live in, my must-have amenities and viola, it took me to my dream apartment.

Ispydiy_aptinspiration

Establishing the Design: I wanted to stay true to my new apartment’s industrial style and color scheme, so I created a Pinterest board for design inspiration. The plan is to decorate with mostly black & white, then bring in color very sparingly as accents. Because this space is different from any other apartment that I’ve had in the past, I’m starting from scratch for the furniture and decor. I also really wanted to start making grown up purchases and invest in items I truly loved! I was not able to move into my apartment for 2 month after signing the lease, which was torture, because I wanted to start planning and purchasing my investment furniture for the space. A major bonus on rent.com is the website features a room planner that allows you to virtually place the furniture in the space to see what fits before you move. This is a huge help when it comes to larger pieces like couches, beds, and rugs.

More after the break…

ISPYDIY_Roomplanner

Buy Items You Love: Once I decided on the major furniture pieces that I wanted, I pulled some of my favorite inspiration from my Pinterest board to start decorating. To accent the black and white color scheme, I plan on adding some unfinished wood and a few yellow accents. I know, I know, I did a similar style in the studio…but hey, that’s the aesthetic I love. A bonus about sticking with the black and white theme is that I can always add different pops of color in the future if I want to change it up!

The one, tiny downfall of my apartment is that it is seriously lacking in storage, which might be a blessing in disguise. I have a tendency to be a bit if a packrat and buy things on a whim. Since there are only a few places to store things, I really had to de-clutter and decide if purchases were must-haves. I’m looking forward to living a minimalistic lifestyle and investing in pieces that will last me a long time.

There you have it, the game plan to make my new home a haven! Stay tuned for details on the final design and, of course, some DIY projects that will make the space all mine!

INSPIRATION IMAGES VIA | 1, 23, 4, 5, 6

This post was made in partnership with rent.com, Thank you for supporting my amazing sponsors that make I SPY DIY possible.

EXPLORE MORE: ETC

COMMENTS

1. Your new apartment is wonderful. I love these windows and the high cement ceiling.

2. Tegan says:

This is so cool! I have always wanted to live in a converted warehouse place too. This looks amazing!
    Tegan xx – Permanent Procrastination

3. Congrats for the new apartment 🙂 I think that your idea for black and white is perfect. I will expect more photos after you finished your project. Good luck

4. Jess says:

Congratulations on the new apartment! Loving the slight industrial feel – the cement, high ceilings. I can’t wait till you finish decorating it! x
    Jess | It’s That Time For

5. Oh My Goodness!!! Your apartment looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing how you transform this space!

6. steph banks says:

congrats! love the kitchen! Can’t wait to see how you decorate the place! 🙂

7. Laura says:

Wow that looks amazing! Congrats on the new space:)

Laura

8. Lauren says:

You’re new place looks AMAZING!! So happy for you. I’m apartment shopping as well & talk about stressful and overwhelming!! But this post gets me excited about what I get to look forward to after I’m all settled in & ready to decorate.

Lauren | Grace, Faith, & Glitter

Your new apartment looks great!!! Looking forward to seeing it all decorated.

10. Paige says:

This place looks amazing! I love that exposed wall and all the life you brought into the space!

Paige

11. Krista says:

GORGEOUS! That natural light is everything.

12. Carla says:

I love your new industrial space. I am getting ready to start building out 3 loft apartments in a commercial building that I own so I am looking everywhere for inspiration. Looking forward to seeing the finished apartment. Good luck!!!

13. Gosia says:

It looks great, you’ll make a beautiful home from this space

14. This space looks fab! We lived in an industrial-style loft for a year and it was so fun since it was so close to downtown and but I lost my job soon after and couldn’t afford to properly decorate the expansive 25′ walls. Still, it was fun and an experience. We’re now building a tiny home which is an entirely different can of worms, but that room planner looks like an amazing tool !! 😀

Xx
    Lauren Jade
    Lauren Jade Lately
    ‘Simplify Life, Maximize Happiness’

15. Wow! Congratulations your apartment is incredible! I love the Pinterest board idea. I’m definitely going to try this. I’m looking for an apartment right now. I’m glad I saw this post. Rent.com right? Do you recommend any other sites as well? http://www.knowledgefromtheheartwithmariel.blogspot.com

16. Jenni, it does look like a dream! So happy for you!
    Looking forward to see how you will decorate it 🙂

Why Buy? DIY!

17. Stephanie says:

Wow, love it! <3

18. Kim from DLK says:

this space looks absolutely gorgeous! raw and edgy, but with so many great style possibilities!

19. Kate says:

Beautiful place! I love your inspiration, too.

• PUPS | cutie!