MY DIY | Rotary Phone Succulent Planter

DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

ispydiy_succulentphone4

ispydiy_succulentphone1

ispydiy_succulentphone3

ispydiy_succulentphone2

ispydiy_succulentphone5

Any DIY that starts with thrifting and ends with neon spraypaint and succulents, quickly rises to the top of my favorite project list! After seeing the planter in this post, I immediately ran the the antique store to scoop up as many rotary phones as I could find. This uber cute pink and yellow one just got a copper cord upgrade, but we tweaked this tan one a bit more by removing the guts and giving it a hot pink makeover. Since I loved the numbers I kept them, but you could also remove and add a larger succulent to fill the space. I love LOVE love the final result, it looks so fun in office! Steps and supplies after the break…

ispydiy_succulentphone_steps

Thrifted Rotary Phone
Succulent or airplant
Spray Paint
E6000
Screwdriver

What you do:
Using the screwdriver, remove the bottom of the telephone.
Pry the inner dial from the center of the phone so that a hole is created for your succulent.
If you’d like to keep the numbers visible, remove the dial from the rest of the phone using a screwdriver and some elbow grease.
Spray paint the entire top portion of the telephone and let dry.
Once dried, reinsert the inner dial if you’ve taken it out. E6000 does the trick.
Reattach the top and bottom parts of the phone, but avoid screwing them together in order to keep plant care easy.
Finally, slip your succulent or air plant pot through the hole in center.

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

COMMENTS

1. Ow wow! This looks absolutely perfect! That phone is incredible!

2. Jennifer says:

This is such a cool DIY, I love how quirky and fun it is! I’ll keep this DIY in mind for next time I come across a rotary phone!
    xx
    Pretty as Summer

3. This is so cute and summery with the hot pink and the adorable succulent! Huge love. Will save this for a DIY day (: Thanks for sharing!

4. Melanie says:

This is such a fun idea, and succulents are one of the only plants that are hard (but not impossible, oops) for me to kill.

-Melanie-

5. Scarlett says:

This is too cute! I love that you spray painted it a fun pink color too!
    xo, Scarlett
    The Trendy Chick

6. Sarah says:

I have a slight obsession with cute succulent planter so this post caught my eye right away! I love the idea of thrifting retro items and putting a modern spin on them. Too cute!!

XO – Sarah

7. Patricia says:

Hello!

A nice article and a great idee! Distributes a time so beautiful! Especially during it rains. So the weather is a lot better. thanks!
    I love your idees!

Best, Patricia from http://blog.fancythoughts.com

Very unique idea. Love hot pink.

9. Christine says:

This is so so fun I had that exact phone, color and all but recently got rid of it. I would have loved to make one of these! And this is why I tell my fiancé I like to keep everything ha!

Christine | http://www.DimesandDonuts.com

10. Lila&Sirena says:

This is sooooo pretty but I really miss your jewelry and fashion DIYs!

Love from Mexico,
    Lila&Sirena

11. Edith Brown says:

Amazing, but you should of though of something for the earphone so you can maybe hang it somewhere and a flower hangs from it.

12. Abby Bristol says:

Yeah, Barbie phone! 🙂

13. Adding succulent in the middle is a great idea. There’s one thing I didn’t like at all – the color. Isn’t this too much of a barbie style?

• Design Crush: Rugs i