MY DIY | Neon Marbled Jewelry Tray

ispydiy_marbletray0

ispydiy_marbletray3

ispydiy_marbletray4

ispydiy_marbletray2

ispydiy_marbletray1

ispydiy_marbletray5

Recently, I have been spotting some pretty amazing faux-marbling DIYs around the internet (I love A Beautiful Mess’s art and Honestly WTF’s cards marbled with shaving cream!) so had to give it a go. One technique that is super cool, albeit a little messy, is marbling with nail polish. I will warn you, it takes a couple tries to master, and the fumes make you go a little looney, but the final result it super rad. Once you get the hang of it…well the marbleizing addiction begins…ask all my formerly white containers. I picked up these plastic trays for $1 each at Target, and the worked perfectly (and I did not feel bad experimenting with the first few). Steps and supplies after the break…

The Details: Make your own dip dyed painter here! Buy Shlomit Ofir Gold paper plane necklace and Geodesic ring here!

ispydiy_marbletray

Trays
Nailpolish
Water
Large plastic container
Toothpick
Mod Podge
Brush
Painter’s tape

What to do:
Prep your tray by taping off the edges of the bottom of your tray (or areas you want to keep un-marbled) with painters tape.
Fill the large container with room temperature water.
Pour the nailpolish in the water.
Swirl the polish together with the toothpick, working quickly so it does not clump. Create a marble pattern.
Next, submerge the bottom of the tray into the water over the polish. Start with one side, then slowly immerse the other side to avoid getting air bubbles.
Once the polish sticks to the tray, pull out of water. Let dry.
Remove tape.
Paint the “marbled” area with Mod Podge to seal in the design. Let dry.
Done!

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

COMMENTS

1. It’s so pretty! I love how original this is 🙂

x

2. Coolallure says:

Wow! It looks amazing! Thanks so much for the inspo! Love your blog ! Keep doing this great work , you are really talented!

3. These trays are adorable; I love the yellow/pink one!

WritingMonique

4. These trays look amazing! They are very beautiful. Love all of them.

The trays are beautiful. Looks so professional. Could you use them for snacks?

6. Beth says:

These are very pretty, but I just know i’d be TERRIBLE at this. I imagine a cat walking up to investigate, dragging his tail through the nail polish, and then running through my house. Eeek!

7. Stephanie R says:

These are TOO cute! I have got to make one of these for my daughters vanity!

8. Lauren says:

I love these, they are so pretty and cute!
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

9. Toni Marie says:

These look so pretty! Really want to try and make them 🙂

10. Shlomit Ofir says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Such great props for my jewelry! Thanks!

11. sharon says:

Must try this. Trays are beautiful.

12. shelly says:

Sweet! I’m loving the marbling trend right now but have been unsuccessful at real marbling so I LOVE this faux marbling and using it mixed with the lucite is genius! I’ll be featuring this on my Friday Let’s DIY post on the 27th. 🙂 Great photos btw. 😉

13. Ally Y says:

To clarify, the marbling is only on the underside of the tray? E.g, the tray is never fully submerged in the water?

14. Jenny, what a lovely DIY! Marble pattern seems to be in style, indeed. Must do one myself, my eyes are in deep need of seeing bright color 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

15. Megs says:

I really want to try out marbelling! These would make awesome Christmas/birthday gifts! so simple! Stunning as always!

Megs

16. These are so cool! I never would have guessed that they were just plastic trays!

17. Cori Schwabe says:

Love this! I love your own take on the marbleized trend. Thanks for sharing!

• PARTY | Hanging ligh