HOME DIY | Washi Skyline Wall Art

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart3

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart5

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart1

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart2

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart7

One of my favorite holiday gifts this year was an absolutely adorable washi tape Manhattan skyline from Molly, aka I SPY DIY employee-of-the-year! The bold lines, little pops of color, and personal touches are just too cute, and it immediately found a home on a wall at the studio. Being a girl who always loves more of a good thing, I asked Molly if she would whip up one of my hometown of Milwaukee so we could share with readers. She happily obliged and created a skyline quicker then I could drink my afternoon coffee (and the 3pm caffeine is consumed quickly)…clearly the girl has a talent. And luckily for you, she is starting an Etsy shop to sell her washi tape wall art! Woot! Head over here and favorite her shop because she will be adding art this week! And if you want to try a DIY version, steps and supplies are after the break…

Oh hey! I bet you are wonder where the hashtag light is from, it was on super clearance at Michael’s. This mugs are this Watercolor tissue paper DIY and I reupholstered the chairs a while back, more here!

ispydiy_washiskylinewallart_steps

Black washi or paper masking tape
Assorted Colors Washi tape
X-acto Blade
Scissors
Pencil
White paper

What to do:
Pick out some of the famous buildings in your town. Sketch them geometrically to create a layered skyline.
Using a ruler, draw out your skyline pattern on the large white paper. Pencil works best so you can erase lines if you need to adjust.
Cover lines with black tape.  Use blade to make sure edges line up.
Add details with colorful washi tape.
Frame. Hang. Done!

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Home DIY

COMMENTS

1. Jaclyn says:

This is so fun! I love washi tape art and really like the idea of framing it instead of applying it as a wall decal. 🙂

2. Debbi says:

ohhhh, the crafting possibilities are endless.

3. Rhiannon says:

Love that heart print. Never would think to frame washi art!

Very talented gal. Nice way be brighten up a wall. Great post.

5. Jacky says:

I love washi tape but it is so expensive at the stores nearby. I love the shape and look of this so I may do it using electrical tape or just painted paper 🙂

doitfortheirony.blogspot.com
    How To Start An Altered Book

6. Stephanie says:

I love how this turned out! I tried recreating something similar to this that I saw on Pinterest but it turned out looking like a 5 year old got a hold of some washi tape lol.

7. Rae says:

This is such a great DIY! It’s amazing really how much you can create with washi tape.

Rae | love from berlin

8. This is so cool, you would never thing its tape.

9. Neeny says:

I love washi tape, I’m always using it. I haven’t yet tried using it for wall art but it sure is on my craft to do list. I like that heart one, the black and white stripes going down with a bright pink heart just makes it that more stylish. The building ones are really good! The shape of them gives them a certain modern feeling. Putting them in frames makes it look so much better than just having it on the wall 🙂

neenyslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

10. sharon says:

It looks like such a fun project. New York City skyline would be great. Love the pictures,

11. Neha says:

Whoa.

Hold up.

THIS IS AWESOME. I can’t even tell you how much I love this. How have I never seen a washi tape skyline before?!?!? I am 100% pinning and saving these to keep around so I can remember to make some! Great post!

Neha // http://nehasharmaphoto.com/blog

12. Kathryn says:

Well how much fun is this?! Such a cute idea – thanks for posting!

xx Kathryn

13. Hannah says:

Ooooh so cool! The buildings look awesome in washi tape. X

14. Such a creative idea! I’ve never imagined that it can be made such a beautiful art peaces with washi tape.

15. This is exploding with cuteness! I have to make these! PINNING!

16. Archita says:

This is amazing! Such a unique idea! Will have to give it a go!

• Design Crush: Rugs i