My DIY | Bleach Dip

DIY PROJECT, Fashion DIY

I finally got to dipping my denims in bleach, and could not be happier with the outcome. I officially have some updated duds for the summer. Stay tuned for how to work this into your wardrobe! Steps after the break…

Supplies: Denim shorts or shirt (both thrifted for less then $5), 2 buckets, bleach, hanger

Fold your shorts in half, then clip onto the hanger.

Fill your bucket with bleach, then dip the shorts directly down. Be careful not to touch the side of the bucket. If you need to push the bottom down into the bleach use a plastic gloved hand. Hold for 3 minutes.

Next I hung over another bucket (filled halfway with water) for 30 min. Then dunked the bottom of the shorts in the water to rinse out the bleach. Let dry. The color bleach make take a hour or so of drying to reach the final color (my jeans looked ombre at first). To get the bleach smell out, wash in a machine separately in cold water.

I did the same techniques with the shirt. But in hindsight it would have been better to dip the body of the shirt, then after rinsing, go back an do the sleeves. Much easier to avoid splattering on areas you do not want to lighten.

EXPLORE MORE: DIY PROJECT, Fashion DIY

COMMENTS

1. Vanessa says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

2. Vanessa says:

this is awesome, I did nearly the same with my shorts. xoxo Vanessa

3. Lauren says:

They both turned out so good!

Lauren
    llovestoshare

4. Veva says:

I love the result!
    I´m going to make it!!

kiss

5. I did this with a vest and I looks awesome 🙂
    Love the end result of the shirt!

Kiss

6. Candy says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

7. Candy says:

I looove dip dying! Great job hun!

xoxo
    Candy

8. FJ says:

The shorts look really cool

9. Sheena says:

I did it as well… dont have pics but you know what after bleaching you can dey it in a different color, it comes out amazing… I did a yellow, it wasn’t very bright at first go but after a few washes it kinda looked really amazing… will try and post it if I can… 😛

Sheena

10. Katharina says:

can´t believe what a simple but good idea this is! LOVE DIY´S!!! check them out on my blog and tell me what you think!

xoxo

ketchembunnies.blogspot.com

11. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this … I have been waiting for you to post this! Most of our closet is thrifted so I see a project happening this weekend! pippa

12. Love it! I always thought you had to keep the items in the bleach but I guess not? I wanted to ombre a jeans but they came out blotched. Definitely gonna try again!

13. It turned out perfect!!

14. Hallie says:

Thanks for these! I tried to DIY a tie dye shorts the other day, I hanged the shorts in the blench+water for about 1 hour, so sad there is only some slight faded blue left on the waist area, lol…I am going to try another one today after reading this:)

15. omgggg that’s amazing! I’m sooo jealous!

16. LOFT25 says:

I actually have a shirt like that, ( well unbleached). I bought it from a thrift store, perfect time for a DIY!

17. bikeinhands says:

amazing!!! i wanna do that!!!!
    Bea

18. Jenelle Smit says:

I will be trying this DIY very soon!

DIY Blog:

19. Anuschka says:

amazing! love the shorts!

20. Anonymous says:

I really like this DIY. Must give it a try.

21. DonnaC says:

We just did this to a pair of pants over the weekend and it came out great. On the Bachelorette (my guilty pleasure) she had on a cut top with dolmen sleeves that was dipped sideways to make it look like the shirt was off one shoulder. I want to try that too…

22. Leila says:

This is AWESOME. I’m teaching a “thrift week” (I teach high school) next week and we’re going to alter a bunch of clothes; this will definitely be one of the tricks we try!

23. Adrienne says:

“Next I hung over another bucket (filled halfway with water) for 30 min”
    I love the tutorial, but I’m so confused with this line! Does this mean you dipped the shorts in the water for 30 min? Or it took you 30 minutes to fill the bucket up? Sorry I’m just so confused!

24. Anonymous says:

Why do some jeans fall apart when you dip bleach them? I’ve had a pair of Abercrombie jeans and they just fell apart.

25. Mimi says:

does the bleaching makes the part where it has been dipped in bleach stiff and unmoveable (uncomfortable to wear)?

26. This was so much fun, I followed this DIY and splashed bleach spots on the top half of my denim jacket. It came out so pretty and will go great with anything!

27. GnD says:

Great idea, mmm…where are my denim shorts?!

xoxo
    GnD

28. Unknown says:

nice great idea……i wil try

29. Danielle says:

Can I use chlorine mixed with water for this??

30. Marmalade says:

I really want to do this DIY, i’m desperate to have a pair, but also want to DIY the jeans into shorts, but just not sure what jeans would make the right fit shorts

mel x

31. Vivi says:

This is great! I’m really psyched to try this out. I kinda want to dip-dye EVERYTHING now. I made a post about how much I love this trend, pls check it out!

32. i loved that project it is everything you need for a special day (everyday). i would love to see some more diy clothes because in fall i cant easily wear bracelets. thanks

33. Anonymous says:

I liked this tutorial but does it work to bleach white on the whole jeans shirt?

34. tomal mahmud says:

Digital T-Shirt Printing is the latest technology for small run orders that require full color prints. If you need
    digital t-shirt printing to just make a statement or even for a birthday or special event, digital t-shirt printing
    is the only choice.

design a t shirt
    print on shirts
    digital t shirt printing
    custom tee shirts
    create t shirts

35. Anonymous says:

This so cool! I’m most definitely trying it! Does anyone know how to bleach phrases, symbols,and words onto a hoodie??

36. Jenni says:

I did this DIY, but it doesn’t work on my jeansshorts 🙁 I sprayed the bleach on them, and did as your instructions, but they look completely normal like they where before…
    Any help?

37. I just want to tell you that I am just beginner to blogs and actually loved this web page. More than likely I’m planning to bookmark your site . You surely come with fantastic well written articles. Appreciate it for sharing your web page.

• » MY DIY | Embellish